Sunday, December 19, 2010

first one in four years

Thursday evening, around 11:00pm, I decided to quickly check my email before hitting the sack. I turned on my computer and waited. And waited. It was taking longer than usual for Mr. HP to get going. The internet took ages to load, and I was about to turn the computer off and call it a night, when I was greeted by a spyware program that popped up. It told me that I had a million infections on my computer and I began to cringe knowing this pop up was a virus.

I tried to run my actual spyware and virus checker, hoping I could delete this virus myself (ha-ha), but quickly realized it wasn't going to work. As I closed boxes and tabs, trying to turn off the computer, I saw that my background desktop picture had changed. No longer was there a picture of a pretty yellow windowsill with flowers and vines draping out that I had taken in Cuba. No, it had been replaced by a blue background of 010101010010101010010101010100101's (that's computer language I presume) and a nice little message that said:

WARNING, YOUR COMPUTER IS UNDER ATTACK. DELETE ALL INFECTIONS. WARN YOUR CHILDREN AND YOUR WIFE. ALL DATA WILL BE LOST.

I was shocked that this virus has gone so far -gotten so personal-as to tell me to warn my children and wife. Despite not having a wife or children, I felt like I was being watched and immediately snapped the laptop shut.

No comments: